Pastoral Relief and Retreat

My photo
Wethersfield, CT, United States
I am Pastor at Poquonock Community Church, Congregational (CCCC) in Windsor, CT. My wife Jama and I live in Wetherfield, CT. We'd like to invite you to Terre Haute -- High Ground -- That's what Jama and I call the retreat space on our property. We offer free intentional get-away retreats. We'll feed you and house you and give you space to be with the Lord. All are welcome; no questions asked. This blog is my daily devotional journal. I write it because it is so easy to go for weeks without ever taking the time to be alone with God. Writing helps me develop a discipline I need.

Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Don't miss this...


Hebrews 2:1-2
Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. For since the message declared by angels proved to be reliable, and every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution, how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation?

Do you ever put the TV, Radio, or Internet on and then get involved in something else and kind of forget that what you were mainly doing was watching your favorite show?  I have.  Because of this kind of multi-tasking, I’ve had to go back and watch a whole episode of some program again because I only caught the basic gist of what was happening.   I guess that’s why they invented TiVo. 

When I sit down with the Scriptures in the morning it is usually while I’m making my breakfast.  I accomplish this feat by “playing” the Lectionary texts on my computer.  David Cochran Heath calmly reads passage after passage to me in his perfect radio English voice.  I know, I know… I ought to lock myself in my prayer closet devote that time to the Lord.  It would be better for my waistline if I lay off the daily bread anyway.   I guess I’ve figured that hey, at least I’m spending time with God.   

Most mornings, when I get to the end of David’s dramatic reading, I pick a piece of Scripture to write on.  That’s how The Morning Watch gets generated. 

This morning I was at church by the time I found the time to run the mp3 of the Lectionary.  The only problem was that there was a lot of other stuff on my desk and my eye kept floating to one thing or another.  By the time David was finished reading, I heard him stop, and that’s what alerted me to the fact that I had totally missed what came between Psalm 26 and Hebrews 2. 

We know from Scripture that one of the results of Israel’s persistent disobedience to God came in the form of her desolation.  When Jesus stood and surveyed Jerusalem at one point he said, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’”  (Matthew 23:37-39 ESV)  These things were predicted by every prophet from Moses all the way down to Jesus., and still Israel played the prostitute.

When I multi-task I’m not giving God the chance to really speak to me.  As the writer to the Hebrews said, “we must pay much closer attention.”   Would you shut off the TV, the radio, the internet, your cell phone, and stop cooking, talking, working, and multi-tasking, if only so you don’t miss something really important… like… salvation?

Jon 

No comments: