Pastoral Relief and Retreat

My photo
Wethersfield, CT, United States
I am Pastor at Poquonock Community Church, Congregational (CCCC) in Windsor, CT. My wife Jama and I live in Wetherfield, CT. We'd like to invite you to Terre Haute -- High Ground -- That's what Jama and I call the retreat space on our property. We offer free intentional get-away retreats. We'll feed you and house you and give you space to be with the Lord. All are welcome; no questions asked. This blog is my daily devotional journal. I write it because it is so easy to go for weeks without ever taking the time to be alone with God. Writing helps me develop a discipline I need.

Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Post It Notes


I have reached the age where I often walk into a room and tell myself that I know I came in here for something.  When I can't remember what it was, I have to go back to where I started and see if I can kick-start the old random access memory.  

Just yesterday I was stacking wood in the yard and thought, "This would go a whole lot more easily if I had some music to keep me motivated.  So I went up to the garage, walked in (right past the radio I keep on a shelf by the entrance) and stood for a full 30 seconds at my workbench looking at the tools and containers of nails.  Nothing on that wall seemed to inspire me, so I walked back out of the garage and asked myself what it was I had come there for.   That's when the word, "music" came back to mind.  

I've been thinking what I really need to do is leave post-it notes around the house in critical spots:

By the front door:  "The keys are in your coat pocket"

On the kitchen counter:  "You took your pills this morning.  Don't do it again."

On the table where I eat breakfast: "Call your mother."

Next to the coffee maker: "Don't forget to put water in before brewing."

Things like that might actually help me get through the day better.  I don't forget the really big things.  I always show up for appointments on time and in the right location.  But it is the more automatic stuff -- the little repetitions of life -- I usually forget.

Psalm 103 is a wonderful series of post-it notes to well-meaning, but slightly addled people of faith.  I'm going to stick them in places where they'll do the most good:

At the top of the stairs, before I see anyone this morning: "Bless the Lord, O my soul" 

Next to my checkbook and on places where I keep my money:  "forget not all his benefits"

On the bathroom mirror:  "who forgives all your iniquity"

On the shelf where I keep my pills:  "who heals all your diseases"

On my computer, before I begin work:  "who redeems your life from the pit"

Near pictures of my family: "who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy"



On the TV; the computer; the refrigerator; the liquor cabinet (in short, any place I might be tempted to try and fill up the empty places:  "who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's"

On every exit to my house, on the door to my car, and on the mailbox: "Bless the Lord, O my soul!"

Have a blessed Lord's Day today.

Jon


No comments: