Pastoral Relief and Retreat

My photo
Wethersfield, CT, United States
I am Pastor at Poquonock Community Church, Congregational (CCCC) in Windsor, CT. My wife Jama and I live in Wetherfield, CT. We'd like to invite you to Terre Haute -- High Ground -- That's what Jama and I call the retreat space on our property. We offer free intentional get-away retreats. We'll feed you and house you and give you space to be with the Lord. All are welcome; no questions asked. This blog is my daily devotional journal. I write it because it is so easy to go for weeks without ever taking the time to be alone with God. Writing helps me develop a discipline I need.

Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

I Got it Covered

Job 40:10-14
10 “Adorn yourself with majesty and dignity;
clothe yourself with glory and splendor.
11 Pour out the overflowings of your anger,
and look on everyone who is proud and abase him.
12 Look on everyone who is proud and bring him low
and tread down the wicked where they stand.
13 Hide them all in the dust together;
bind their faces in the world below. [13]
14 Then will I also acknowledge to you
that your own right hand can save you.


I love God's logic.  This is a classic if-then proof.  What he's saying is, "IF you can, without any help at all, make yourself majestic, dignified, glorious and terrible in splendor; IF you can, without any help at all, actually change the condition of a proud man so that he is brought low -- not just one proud man, but IF you can do this with all proud men in the world in an instant; IF you can, without any help at all, end all evil people with a thought and send them directly to hell, THEN I would say you're able to save yourself from pretty much anything.


The problem, of course, is that I can't.  I can't do any of those things.  I have tried.  Really.  And the best I've been able to come up with is some minor proud-ish posturing and posing about my accomplishments in ministry (I call myself a "mentor"), music (I call myself a "conductor"), and cooking (I call myself a "chef" -- sounds better than "cook").  And the worst thing isn't that God knows.  He demonstrates that clearly in verse 14.  The worst is that everyone else knows too.   I think most of us are able to deal with the fact that God knows we're nothing without him.  After all, he is largely invisible to us except for the whiff of his presence and the occasional touch of his majesty.   But the people around me -- the ones who see me every day... that's another story altogether.   None of us likes the feeling that someone else "has our number."  


God, forgive me for posing and posturing.  Help me to see myself the way you see me -- not to judge, but to love what you have made me -- as I really am.  And cause me to love you as you really are: You are Majesty itself.  You are all Dignity.  You are Glory.  You are Splendor.  


Jon

No comments: