Pastoral Relief and Retreat

My photo
Wethersfield, CT, United States
I am Pastor at Poquonock Community Church, Congregational (CCCC) in Windsor, CT. My wife Jama and I live in Wetherfield, CT. We'd like to invite you to Terre Haute -- High Ground -- That's what Jama and I call the retreat space on our property. We offer free intentional get-away retreats. We'll feed you and house you and give you space to be with the Lord. All are welcome; no questions asked. This blog is my daily devotional journal. I write it because it is so easy to go for weeks without ever taking the time to be alone with God. Writing helps me develop a discipline I need.

Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

I was reading "The Great Divorce", by C.S. Lewis today (I've read it many times, and return to it every few years). In the preface Lewis says, "You cannot take all luggage with you on all journeys; on one journey even your right eye and your right hand may be among the things you have to leave behind. We are not living in a world where all road are radii of a circle and where all, if followed long enough, will therefore draw gradually nearer and finally meet at the cntre; rather in a world where every road, after a few miles, forks into two, and each of those into two again, and at each fork you must make a decision. Even on a biological level life is not like a river, but like a tree. It does not move toward unity, but away from it and and the creatures grow further apart as they increase in perfection. Good, as it ripens, becomes continually more different not only from evil, but from other good."

What is the baggage you cannot take with you on the journey toward Christ? Becoming a pastor has taught me more about what I want than what I want to jettison. All I thought I needed before? It is fading into the distance, because I left it at a series of forks in the road I can no longer look back at and see clearly. Thank God.

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


-- Robert Frost (1920)

No comments: