Pastoral Relief and Retreat

My photo
Wethersfield, CT, United States
I am Pastor at Poquonock Community Church, Congregational (CCCC) in Windsor, CT. My wife Jama and I live in Wetherfield, CT. We'd like to invite you to Terre Haute -- High Ground -- That's what Jama and I call the retreat space on our property. We offer free intentional get-away retreats. We'll feed you and house you and give you space to be with the Lord. All are welcome; no questions asked. This blog is my daily devotional journal. I write it because it is so easy to go for weeks without ever taking the time to be alone with God. Writing helps me develop a discipline I need.

Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

Outline from 1 Thessalonians 5

Some folks in our congregation have been asking for the outline from our recently completed series in 1 Thessalonians. At Nottingham Congregational Christian Church we've been talking a lot about four pillars of the church: Conviction, Community, Communication, and Call, with Christ being the Cornerstone. While I don't have the entire book outline available, I thought I'd throw the last chapter up here. If anyone has any questions or wants to discuss some of these topics, please chime in!

1 Thessalonians 5:12-28: Four Pillars, Revisited

This plan for the church is something the World knows nothing about. What Paul closes this letter with is a scandal to our latter-day sensibilities.


1) Leadership (Call)

a) be aware of (those who labor among you)

b) Submit to your leadership (and are over you)

c) Listen for Encouragement from your leadership (and admonish you)... the combination of a, b, and c leads to...

d) Esteem


2) Fellowship (Community)

a) Peace (eager to maintain the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace)... how we do it:

b) admonishment

c) encouragement

d) help

e) patience

f) payment (pay against kind when necessary)


3) Discipleship (Communication)

a) rejoice

b) pray

c) give thanks

d) listen (be open to the Spirit)

e) avoid evil


4) Sovereignty (Conviction)

a) God is Faithful

b) God is Able



No comments: