Pastoral Relief and Retreat

My photo
Wethersfield, CT, United States
I am Pastor at Poquonock Community Church, Congregational (CCCC) in Windsor, CT. My wife Jama and I live in Wetherfield, CT. We'd like to invite you to Terre Haute -- High Ground -- That's what Jama and I call the retreat space on our property. We offer free intentional get-away retreats. We'll feed you and house you and give you space to be with the Lord. All are welcome; no questions asked. This blog is my daily devotional journal. I write it because it is so easy to go for weeks without ever taking the time to be alone with God. Writing helps me develop a discipline I need.

Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Found my song

There's something about being reconciled to God. It really IS like what happened to the Lost Son in Jesus' story. One minute you're out eating corn husks because you think there is nothing better. The next you've got a robe and rings on and are dining at a feast set by your father.

I know the moment I started to step away from where I really should be with him. It was when I stopped singing and playing the piano for devotionals, and I'd hate to tell you how long ago that was. See, I'm Reformed by theology, but in my heart I'm an old arminian pietist. I need to constantly be reminded in my heart, in my deepest emotional places, of what God did for ME. And so I was converted reading Romans 5:8, and the song began. It isn't a performance thing. In fact, it has always been hard to coax me to do this in front of people because I get embarrassed (am I ashamed of my life with God?). Anyway, I just spent the most glorious 30 minutes singing to him... singing with him.

You might call this old hymn my "theme" song. I hope it touches your heart too.

Come, ye disconsolate, where’er ye languish,
Come to the mercy seat, fervently kneel.
Here bring your wounded hearts, here tell your anguish;
Earth has no sorrow that heaven cannot heal.

Joy of the desolate, light of the straying,
Hope of the penitent, fadeless and pure!
Here speaks the Comforter, tenderly saying,
“Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot cure.”

Here see the Bread of Life, see waters flowing
Forth from the throne of God, pure from above.
Come to the feast of love; come, ever knowing
Earth has no sorrow but heaven can remove.

-- text by Thomas Moore, 1816

No comments: